We bought the APT in for work (12/01/2021, outshopped 02/04/21), due to the fact the engines starter motor was broken, the compression was bad and the pump was worn out. I believe it last had a new engine and pump around 2013/14. Having got it in the workshop, it was apparent it was suffering with heavy corrosion. (It had a mid term mild over haul in 2017 and new bogies). So having removed the engine and old wiring loom. I started to dig for oblivious rust. This was in the nose cone and the rear. There was nothing really to speak of in the middle, due to the fact this is always soaked in oil and grease.
Some of the photos will show the rust repairs. Something that didn't help was 40 years of layer of paint, so a lot of the body was cleaned back to the original metal in places.
Once the metal was replaced where need, I filled the body to get it smooth and streamline again. Then I turn to fitting the brand new Honda GX160 and Eaton pump to the bed plate and then lowering it into the power car. We also found the rear universal joint on the main prop shaft was worn out, so that was also replaced. (It has 4 universal joints, one on each end of the prop and one on each gear box).
Once the engine, pump and prop were in. I turned to fitting things like a new fan (Helps massively with cooling on hot days), new headlight etc. I also had to change the exhaust to make it fit and exit via the side of the power car. I then made a new wiring loom for the accessors and extended the Honda loom, so it can be started using a key on the dashboard.
It was then primed with red ox primer and then with Williamsons anti corrosion. The under side was sealed the same and top coated with CombiColors black (Superior rust proofing paint in my experience). The inside was done the same, but with CombiColor grey. The Intercity Exec grey was mixed by Williamsons, the yellow front is done with Hammerite. It was then sealed with 3 coats of Teamacs yacht varnish. (Perfect for adding gloss and sealing everything in) The large vinyl's were then applied, she was outshopped from the work shop and test run with no issues. It has performed all summer with no issues really to speak of.